I had such fun using these 1930’s vintage reproduction fabrics for this quilt. They remind me of when I was young and my great grandmother died and I was given a large tin of her fabrics that she had cut out for quilting. These fabrics remind me so much of those.
I designed this quilt using Half Square Triangles, placed so that they looked like diamonds. Each HST had a vintage style fabric on one side and a low volume fabric on the other. I’ve already received quite a few inquiries about the low volume prints, so I’m going to try to list as many as I can in this post with lots of links.
The finished block size (after sewing into the quilt) was 4″. I cut 5.5″ strips and then cut these into 5.5″ squares. From these, I made my HSTs and then trimmed them down to a working size of 4.5″. There were 180 total HSTs.
Most of the low volume prints I used in this quilt were from the AWESOME Robert Kaufman collection called “Hints in Prints”. I purchased these fabrics from Pink Castle Fabrics in Ann Arbor. Finding this kind of tiny low volume print isn’t easy and this collection is so great. Pink Castle has fat quarters of this collection and yardage. These tiny prints were the perfect complement to the vintage style fabrics.
The 1930’s style fabrics were some of my old favorites from Marcus Fabrics’ Aunt Grace line: this cute blue, this awesome pink , this classic blue and this sweet old fashioned yellow. I also used some cute fabrics from Penny Rose’s Milk, Sugar, Flower line that I love so much. Then I used this sweet pink fabric from Windham’s Storybook Vacation line.
The backing is a special fabric from Japanese designer Atsuko Matsuyama for Yuwa. It’s called “Language of Flowers” and it’s from the 1930’s collection – how appropriate. It features lots of flower information and old fashioned classic recipes. It looked like it fit this quilt just right. I purchased this fabric also from Pink Castle Fabrics .
The batting I used was Warm and Natural 100% cotton batting, my usual batting choice.
When I decided on how to quilt this project, I wanted to emphasize the diamonds, so I quilted on the diagonal, outlining the diamond shapes and then I did a vertical quilting down the rows and also stitched in the ditch. I used Aurifil Natural White #2021, 50 wt. thread for the top and Light Sand #2000 in the bottom, to match the backing fabric. The Natural White thread is a really nice soft white, not as stark white as the regular Aurifil White. I just thought it was perfect for the top. I quilted at a 3.5 stitch length.
The binding is one of the fabrics I used in this quilt – Toy Chest Floral Field in Red – and when I was trying to decide on a binding, this fabric seemed like it gave the perfect pop to the quilt. I love it. This fabric is just one of the line of sweet vintage fabrics designed by Sara Morgan called Toy Chest.
When I attached the binding, I used Aurifil #2260 Red Wine in the bobbin, to match the binding fabric on the back of the quilt. I had the Natural White in the top thread. I used my usual method of sewing the binding on the front, wrapping it to the back and then stitching in the ditch on the front to attach the binding to the back of the quilt.
The finished quilt is about 50″ x 60″. It’s just a great size for snuggling up with on the sofa and has a nice, soft drape to it. It has such a sweet, vintage look to it. I’m listing it in the Shop. (This quilt has now SOLD)
Thanks for stopping in!