Little Owl Baby Quilt

Little Owl Baby Quilt

What pure fun making this quilt was!  You forget how fast baby quilts are to make until you realize that it’s binding time and the quilt is almost finished and it seemed to just fly out of the sewing machine.

Little Owl Quilt Front

I made this quilt using what I think is a great combination to make a unified but interesting look: start with a cute motif fabric, add a solid, a little dot and a stripe.  Four different fabrics that can create a bit of a scrappy look but looks cohesive.  I started with a fabric from Anne Kelle’s Urban Zoology line for Robert Kaufman.  This line of fabrics is so adorable and is perfect for stashing for future baby quilts.  The little dot is Pinhead in Ebony from Michael Miller.  The solid is Robert Kaufman Kona Cotton Solid in Aqua and the little grey stripe is probably one of my all time favorite stripes – Animal ABCs small stripe in Grey –  I kind of hoard it in my stash.

Little Owl Quilt front & back Lilttle Owl Quilt Stacked

The backing fabric – eeeeek!   It’s called Key Ingredient in Natural Blue from Chicken in the Ktichen Collection by Alexander Henry.  I’ve had this in my stash for a while and couldn’t wait to use it.

Little Owl Quilt Back

Little Owl quilt Backing

This quilt was made using 16-patch blocks, with finished squares that were 3″ each. To make these, I cut 3.5″ x 16″ strips from four different fabrics and sewed them together to make a variety of 4-strip “A” sets.  I could have cut WOF (width of fabric) strips, but I felt that sewing those together wouldn’t have given me the mixed variety of sets I wanted.  I subcut these “A” sets into 3.5 strips and then placed them out until I got a scrappy layout I liked. I then sewed them into 4-strips blocks and sewed the blocks together in rows.  There were 3 blocks across and 4 blocks down to make a quilt that finishes at 47″ x 35.5″  (including binding).

For this quilt, I thought I should make bias binding instead of my usual cross grain binding.  I thought the stripes on the diagonal  added a little bit more interest, plus it’s more durable – especially for a baby quilt that might get washed more.  To make bias binding, I use a Binding Buddy ruler by June Tailor that makes it a snap.  I have the 2.5″ one but they also make a 2.25″ ruler.  Makes it super simple!  I think it’s also less of a hassle than making continuous bias binding – way too much fiddling for me.  If you want to see how I apply binding, here is my tutorial on that.

Llittle Owl Binding Detail

Quilting Little Owl

I quilted this with Aurifil 50 wt. thread and did double vertical quilting lines along all the squares.  I used white on top and a sand color in the bobbin, to match the backing fabric. I used Warm & White for the batting.

Little Owl Quilt stitches

Little Owl Quilt back & front

I was almost sorry to have this quilt finished, it was so fun!

I hope you’re making something! Thanks for stopping in,
Elaine

I’m linking up to My Quilt Infatuation, Sew Fresh QuiltsBlossom Heart Quilts and Free Motion by the River

71 thoughts on “Little Owl Baby Quilt

1. Eleanor Oleary

Hi Elaine
      Just love your little owl quilt
      Having trouble tho at getting fabrics. Can’t obtain the grey strips which I think is so right for this gorgeous quilt
      Fabric.com tell me it’s unavailable and Non order able which I found Really disappointing tho realise it will be so popular after seeing your quilt
      Do you have any idea if there us anywhere ele I could get it from
      Have tried over here in N ew Zealand?
      Would be very grateful
      Many thanks
      Eleanor

1. Debbie

The most disappointing thing about quilting has been the shortage of popular fabrics! I have not been able to find two of the fabrics needed for this quilt. Very nice quilt Elaine.

2. Bonnie Terrey

A regular pillow ticking fabric might work, too..it’s the same colors in gray & white. Comes in different weights.

3. Elaine Kaethler

Beautiful….no puckers anywhere! How do you avoid those? Also how do you sew the binding on without puckers? That’s my problem.

4. Beech Tree Lane Handmade Post author

Eleanor: You can actually use your walking foot to sew the binding on – it’s very helpful and will feed the fabric so there are no puckers. As for the machine quilting and puckers, do you use a walking foot? That is key. There are also more tips that I have written about in this post https://beechtreelanehandmade.com/2016/02/22/six-tips-for-machine-quilting/ that will help you avoid puckers, like lowering the pressure foot tension when machine quilting and using the proper needle in your machine. Really works. Hope this helps!

1. Karen

Elaine, just found you on Blossom Heart Quilts. So glad I did! Your work is beautiful and this quilt is just totally precious. Now, if someone would just have a baby 🙂

2. Pingback: Little Owl Reading Pillow and Bib | Beech Tree Lane Handmade

3. Pingback: Sew Cute Tuesday | Blossom Heart Quilts

4. Terri Ann

That backing it just so sweet and it’s paired perfectly with the sweetest quilt top too! So lovely, thank you for sharing it, I’ll certainly be pinning this for future reference!

5. Lisa C

My heart is beating so fast because I love these colors. I have your owl fabric in the primary colorway because I didn’t see this one! Oh I need this one!

6. Ruthie

A beautiful new way of looking at colors – binding on the back first always came easier to me, but will do your method of stitching in the ditch on the front … thanks for such a jolt of inspiration and instruction.

7. Barbara

I am almost finished with this quilt. It came out great (so far). Now I have to figure out continuous binding. UGH!!

8. Barbara

Kay I just finished the top and I purchased 1 1/2 yards of all the fabric for the top, except for the strip, I purchased 2 yards for that to do the binding with. I also purchased 3 yards for the backing, but I am using some of the owl print as a border.

9. Pingback: Little Owl Baby Quilt sewing tutorial – sewing mania club

10. Emily

I love the quilt thanks for sharing! I also love the look of the quilting done and want to try it. Could you tell me tge spacing between rows and in from edge of block?

11. Sylvia

Hello. I just found you TODAY! The material in your quilts is adorable. Do you buy it from special sites? Thanks, Sylvia

12. megan

I just found this on pintrest and I love it! Your tutorial is so helpful and I love the tips for new quilters. This is going to be my first baby quilt and it has been so helpful! Thank you!

13. Liz Lugo

Hello! Just bought all the fabric to start this project this week! Can’t wait! Can you confirm if you used a 1/2 inch seam when sewing all of the strips together (through all stages)? I assume this is how you come out to 3″ squares total…

Thank you!

1. Bonnie

I am making this quilt right now & I think you should use 1/4″ seam – you will be sewing 1/4″ for each square so they turn out a lot smaller. 1/2″ would make the squares really small. it goes together fast but takes awhile to cut all the strips.

14. Bonnie

I had trouble finding the “Chicken in the Kitchen” line but found a similar design at a local quilting shop. When you give the 3.5 X 16 measurements, those are the starting measurements, right? I am finding the squares turn out smaller than it looks in your pictures but it is a great pattern combination.

15. kaholly

Oh, my goodness, this baby quilt is adorable! I’m going to remember your fabric selection method next time I do a little shopping! It works great!

16. elli

I love this, I have ordered my fabrics but I am wanting to know where you got the binding from or what sort of material this is?

1. Bonnie

You use the same black & white striped fabric for the binding. You cut the binding on the bias – allow enough to fold it in half and enough to fold over to the back. Make sure you lay the fabric the same direction for the binding when you cut – if not, the stripes will be going the wrong direction. It happened to me!

2. Beech Tree Lane Handmade Post author

Elli: In the post, I mention that I cut the striped fabric on the bias so the stripes would be diagonal. I also linked to the bias ruler I use. Buy the way – I am seeing more fabric manufacturers coming out with stripes that are already on the bias! I love this. You will be able to cut your strips crossgrain and have a binding with diagonal stripes.

17. Noeline

Your quilt looks beautiful and I like the way you show how to do it,I am going to sewing lessons on Quilting,but I need to stick with the easy ones Cheers Noeline Sydney Australia

18. Cathy Leach

Very cute. Would love to try for my great nephew who is due in May. How much of each of the fabric do you need. Love the owls.

19. Lisa.

Hi! I love your site! So inspiring!
    I recently purchased the Robert Kaufman Owl print in flannel. I think it is the only way it comes. I was hoping to pair it with 100% cotton non flannel fabric from Moda but was unsure about mixing materials. Did you mix different Cotton’s in this quilt? From what I can tell I think you did and I apologize if you have answered this question before. I read through many of the comments and did not see this question. So the main question is do I need to pre wash the flannel Fabric or all Fabrics before working them together? What do you practice? Thank you!

1. Beech Tree Lane Handmade Post author

Lisa: I have never mixed flannel and regular cottons together on a quilt top, however I have used a flannel backing for a quilt with a regular cotton top. I would imagine it would be just fine to mix the two for a quilt top, but I can’t say for sure – I would love to try this myself, actually! I always, always, prewash all my fabrics and I think that is why I might be more confident mixing the two. I prewash fabrics because I don’t want any surprises after washing a completed quilt – if the fabrics are going to shrink or bleed or distort in any way, I want them to go through the same washing process before sewing that they will be after sewing. Hope this helps. If you try mixing the two fabrics, let me know!

20. Gudrun1979

Hi blogger, do you monetize your beechtreelanehandmade.com ?
    There is easy method to earn extra money every day, just search on youtube : How to earn with wordai 4

Leave a Comment!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s