What a fun quilt this one was to sew. Before I knew it, I was doing the binding. For this quilt, I wanted a modern, clean geometric kind of look. So I made Half Square Triangles and did a Flying Geese kind of pattern on the front. I skipped some triangles, to create some additional negative space.
Because the front was so modern and graphic, I wanted a bit of whimsy and a splash of color for the back. I looked at several fun fabrics for the back and in the end I chose this fun fabric by Anne Kelle for Robert Kaufman. It’s actually a 108″ wide which made the backing a snap.
The front was made up of Robert Kaufman Kona Solids: medium grey, steel, and white. I added a couple of Robert Kaufman Spot On fabrics for a little variation.
The binding was such fun. I almost went with a traditional black and white stripe, but I pulled this black and white dot fabric from my stash and it just added so much zing, I had to go with it. I can’t remember where I got this fabric and it had no useful identification on the selvage. Maybe even Hobby Lobby?
The binding went as smoothly as can be because I secured it with my Wonder Clips every few inches. I sewed it on the front, wrapped it around the back and stitched in the ditch on the front. If you want to learn how to do this kind of binding, I’ve done a machine binding tutorial here. I believe that machine sewn bindings are more durable.
The front was stitched 1¼ inch apart, using my seam guide attachment. I debated about adding horizontal stitching after all the vertical stitching was done, but decided in the end that less is more.
I used Warm and White cotton batting, because I wanted the white fabric to remain as white as can be. Warm and Natural would be too dark, I felt, behind the white fabric.
Finished size on this quilt is 50″ x 59″.
I can’t wait to get this quilt to its new owners!
Go make something!
Check out Lorna’s “Let’s Bee Social” link up over at Sew Fresh Quilts.