This is a custom order baby quilt and pillow that I just finished and wanted to share with you. I was excited to use this “Children at Play” balloon fabric and had quite a nice time deciding which colors to pull out from it for the quilt.
Many of you contact me with questions about specifics on making quilts, so although this isn’t a pattern, I’m going to try to give you some better cutting details for this quilt.
The finished quilt measures 36″ x 48″. It is made up of twelve 16-patch blocks. Each patch is 3″ finished. I have prewashed all fabrics.
Here are the fabrics I used:
Seven different fabrics for the top:
(See cutting instructions below)
Robert Kaufman Kona Solid Pansy – 3 strips
Robert Kaufman Kona Solid White – 2 strips
Robert Kaufman Kona Solid Carnation – 3 strips
Moda Essental Dots – 3 strips
Michael Miller Children at Play Balloon – 5 strips
Brother/Sister Design Studio Pink & White Dots – 3 strips
Pink and White Dots (unidentified) – 3 strips
Binding: Michael Miller “Little Stripe” in purple (no longer available)
Backing: Michael Miller Children at Play Balloon
To make the 16-patch blocks, I cut (22) 3.5″ strips of fabric from the WOF. (I cut more strips from the balloon fabric than the solids or dots because I wanted the balloon fabric to repeat more in the quilt.) Then I cut these strips down into 16″ lengths. I sewed together four 16″ lengths to get a strip set. I varied the position of the fabrics as much as I could to get different combinations of fabrics within each strip set for a total of 11 strip sets. Then I subcut these strip sets into 3.5″ strips. Four of these subcuts were sewn together randomly to make (11) 16-patch blocks. I used the leftover fabric from the initial cutting of strips to make the 12th block that I needed. I didn’t keep strict track, but I believe I used about 2.25 yards of fabric for the top. I had scraps left over with which to make a pillow top also.
After you have all your blocks sewn, lay the blocks out to see what kind of order you want them in. Sew them into rows, making sure to press the seams of the blocks all the same way in each row. Alternate the direction of this for each row so that when you sew the rows together, the seams will nest.
I used Warm and White for the batting.
The binding is a cute stripe from Michael Miller called “It’s a Girl Thing – Little Stripes” in purple. Sadly, it’s no longer available. I considered a bright pink bias stripe first, but decided the purple was the perfect color for the binding. I’m really glad I went with it. I cut 2.5″ strips and used this machine binding technique. To cut 2.5″ strips quickly, I used my trusty Stripology ruler. I do love that thing. Makes cutting lots of strips so fast.
For the backing, I used the Michael Miller balloon fabric and was so happy with it. It’s such a cute backing. The little whimsical girls and rabbits are so fun.
I machine stitched the quilt with Aurifil Natural White in 40 wt. It’s a little heavier than the 50 wt. and I like the way it stands out more for machine quilting. (I do use the 50 wt. for piecing.) I quilted this at a 4.0 stitch length with a walking foot.
There was also a Reading Pillow made to order to go along with the quilt.
This quilt is sold.
I do hope these instructions are helpful. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
Hope you’re making something!
Absolutely lovely ,thank you xx
So pretty as always! Thanks for sharing 🙂
It’s absolutely beautiful.ive been following your quilting this way on several quilts I’ve made. I think they look so neat and orderly.
I love following all your quilting techniques, being new to quilting they are so helpful and easy to follow, also love all your quilting fabric combinations – thank you
Thank you so much!